Bored and need some new shows to get you through the summer until Boardwalk Empire , Walking Dead and Scandal return in the fall ? Hulu Plus has a great mix of shows you may have missed earlier this year or might not even know about. Here’s 9 shows on Hulu Plus that will improve your summer TV viewing experience. There’s a nice mix of American, British and Australian television programming on this list.
- Sleepy Hollow – short by network TV standards at 13 episodes this Fox show manages to keep you on the edge your seat with out being cheesy. It was renewed for a second season and will be be back this fall. “In this modern-day twist on Washington Irving’s classic, ICHABOD CRANE is resurrected and pulled two and a half centuries through time to find that the world is on the brink of destruction, forcing him to team up with a contemporary police officer to unravel a mystery that dates back to the founding fathers.”
- Luther – Idris Elba from The Wire and Prometheus kills it in this 10 episode gritty British detective drama. “On a moral crusade, with only his convictions for company, John Luther (Idris Elba) is a deeply troubled man, a philosophical cop possessed by the insoluble problem of evil and justice in a Godless world, who gets pulled to the very edge of temptation.”
- Being Human US – What’s not fun about 3 cool good looking people sharing a house in Boston? That is until you find out about their past. “A ghost, vampire and werewolf work to keep their secrets to themselves while helping each other with their double lives. * If you love UK shows there is also a British version that had a shorter run. It’s 36 episodes of a pretty wild and interesting roller coaster of shit!
- The Syndicate – follows a group of coworkers in England after they’ve won the lottery. Season 1’s cast is a group in a grocery store. Season 2’s cast is a group in a hospital. Two short seasons of this show with 11 episodes. “Wild, touching and funny are just a few of the adjectives you’ll use when you watch the story of these lottery winners unfold before your eyes. ” The Syndicate will be back in 2015 for a 3rd season and an all new cast.
- Satisfaction – Originally aired on Showtime Australia this show follow the lives of high class escorts in Brisbane, Australia. Beautiful women, gorgeous city scapes and some pretty interesting characters make this one a must see. “ About friendships, family, lust and love, Satisfaction is provocative and compelling, revealing, confronting and intoxicating. “
- Slide – is a cute coming of age series that follows six Aussie teens in their last year of high school. A little more grown up and a lot more fun than a would be US equivalent. You’ll laugh your ass off at the silly things these kids do and the tough lessons they learn. It’s just one season but that’s all you’ll need.
- The Bridge — a spooky 10 episode Danish detective drama that starts with a murder. “A woman is found murdered in the middle of the Øresund Bridge – right on the border between Sweden and Denmark. The Swedish and Danish police are called to the scene. What at first looks like one murder, turns out to be two. The bodies have been brutally cut in half at the waist and put together to form a single corpse. ” A second season will debut on Hulu this fall
- The Only Way Is Essex — if you are hungover and have LOTS of time to kill this is the show for you. An English version of the Hills there’s more make up , fake eye lashes, extensions and teeth whitener than a Britney Spears tour. But hey everybody looks good and there’s 11 seasons of it on Hulu Plus so you’ll never stop watching it.
- East Los High — High school is tough enough already. Add the ups and downs of life in East LA and you have East Los High. “A Hulu Plus original where dance, sex, romance, and mystery are at the heart of this inner city school in East LA where two teenage cousins—Jessie, a 16-year-old virgin and Maya, a troubled runaway with a violent past —fall in love with Jacob, a popular football player.”
Hulu Plus cost $8.00 a month but if you click here you can try it out free for 2 weeks. You might ask yourself why do you need another pay service. Hulu does a great job of curating just the right kind of TV shows and movies. You’ll keep coming back long after your other “go to’s” have gone on hiatus. If you’re trying to access Hulu Plus from outside the US download the Google Chrome browser extension HOLA and you can watch in any region.